This makes a delicious side dish that’s sweet enough to earn a place on your dessert table, too.
2 boards plain or egg matzoh – crushed
2 boards whole wheat matzoh – crushed
3 large eggs
¾ cup egg substitute or egg whites
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 mango, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons sliced almonds – crushed
2 tablespoons melted butter or if pareve, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9X12 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the crushed matzoh in a bowl, cover with warm water, and soak for about 5-10 minutes. Pour matzoh into a strainer or colander to drain water; press if necessary.
- Toss the apples and mango with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and egg whites until frothy. Add sugar and beat together until well combined. Stir in matzoh, apples, mangoes, and cranberries until all well combined. Spread this mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Melt butter (or pour vegetable oil) and mix with brown sugar and crushed almonds. Sprinkle evenly across the top of the kugel.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for about 10 minutes. Cut into small squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 10-12 servings.